Efficient, user-friendly, powerful, the rythmo band tradition brought into the digital universe, offering the best of both worlds:
Our current product is a dubbing system that uses rythmo band technology. This technology has been used in France and Canada since the 1960’s but has joined the digital world only 10 years ago. Rythmo band technology has always been the most efficient dubbing technology due to its perfect synchronization with the picture. With the help of the scrolling text, the image and precise and easy audio cues, voice actors can read more lines per hour than with the ADR system.
By using the Sony 9 pin protocol, a serial cable and a video reference signal, our product synchronizes with audio recording software (Pro Tools, Cubase, etc.). The image and rythmo band will run, while the audio will be managed in the audio software that also controls the transport actions (play, record, etc.). The system is very precise and user-friendly.
The rythmo band scrolls at a steady speed under the image. When the text touches the red synchronization bar, this is a sign for the voice actor to start talking. When the text has completely scrolled under the red bar, this cues the voice actor to finish his sentence.
Our product is compatible with Cappella and .DetX files or you can simply import MS Word® .DocX files. More file formats will be supported in near future (Mosaic, VoiceQ, DubStudio, Synchronos, Annotation Edit, etc.).
Here are some of the key features and benefits of our product:
- Currently it works on a Mac mini platform but can be adapted to other platforms such as Windows and Linux
- Native support of various existing video file speeds: 23.98, 24, 25 and 29.97fps
- It accepts SD / HD ready / full HD video formats
- It is compatible with ProRes and MXF formats
- It uses MJPEG for best video timing
- Sony 9 pin protocol (other protocols to come)
- The internal rhythm of the sentence is not necessarily linear, which makes it possible to respect the rhythm and intonation of speech (prosodic saliences).
- The font is customizable to adapt to the user’s needs and experience (Script, cursive, etc.).
- Unlike the ADR system, the rythmo band does not cue the voice actor with a countdown, but rather allows them to see the start and end points of their performance. It also allows them to see the flow and the rhythm of the conversation. This allows a longer recording sequence which saves a lot of studio time.
- Compatible with Pro Tools versions 7 to 10 with Machine Control plugin for Sony 9 pin protocol support.
System and equipment requirements
The application can be adapted to multiple operating systems and environments however we currently recommend that you use the following configuration:
- Mac mini Mac OS 10.8: http://www.apple.com/mac-mini/
- Colin Broad USB422v device: http://www.colinbroad.com/html/usb422v.html
- Video reference generator
Phonations is in the process of developing other complementary tools:
An authoring tool
A sofware that gives you the possibility to write synchronized text on the image used for:
- Adding voice to animated films
- Voice over
- Audio description
- Audio transcription
A web plateform
A collaborative work environment and forum providing access to documentation and support material for different users.
A game version of the application which will allow you to have a lot of fun with this professional user-friendly tool.
Our software is a GPL open-source product so there is no license fee. Our team provides all the services required to install and support the software. Our services include:
- Consultation to determine your requirements
- On-site installation and preparation of the machine by our technician
- On-site and remote training sessions
- Support: Various levels of support contracts are available. Our support service guarantees the proper functioning of the application. Our team of experts will be there to answer your questions and help you solve any issues you may experience. It is also possible to work with a local company who will take care of the support for you in your time zone and your area. This company will take care of level 1 support and our team will be there to solve your level 2 and up support requirements.
- Additional development (adding new features and functionalities) for all your customized needs.
Thanks to the Open Source nature of the software, it is possible to integrate it with existing tools using an API:
- Can be adapted to company security standards
- Import/export of documents using the company graphic identity and branding
For more information about our pricing please contact us at: firstname.lastname@example.org
Phonations was created in 2012 with the intention of developing software and services for audiovisual post-production and dubbing industry, at the service of the global community. Phonations specializes in the synchronization of sound tracks and the image, using the rythmo band technology.
The most important thing to us is
building product people love.
We'd love to hear from you.